"Could we have a show of hands, maybe?" one of our colleagues tentatively asked. Of around thirty-five students, one girl reciprocated. One girl came from a family whose parents are divorced.
I remembered the same question being asked during a guidance council meeting. Fourth grade, suburban Pennsylvania. Thirty-three students, and over half raised their hands, myself included.
She shared her story. The audience applauded at her brave honesty. In that moment, I was in awe of how something so commonplace in the American culture I was raised in is considered so traumatic an event here. it is incredible to me how strong the bond between Indian married couples are. That is a strength I aspire to have in a future relationship.
It seems, however, that when things turn sour in such a situation, only the men are left unscathed -- a fact that seems true no matter your placement on this planet.
Women find it particularly difficult to get re-married, one professor at Matreyi College at University of Dehli describing it as, "a constant shadow," and "intense pressure." Men, unsurprisingly, find new wives with ease.
Most shocking? How divorce can reflect negatively on children.
How different would my life be?
I remembered the same question being asked during a guidance council meeting. Fourth grade, suburban Pennsylvania. Thirty-three students, and over half raised their hands, myself included.
She shared her story. The audience applauded at her brave honesty. In that moment, I was in awe of how something so commonplace in the American culture I was raised in is considered so traumatic an event here. it is incredible to me how strong the bond between Indian married couples are. That is a strength I aspire to have in a future relationship.
It seems, however, that when things turn sour in such a situation, only the men are left unscathed -- a fact that seems true no matter your placement on this planet.
Women find it particularly difficult to get re-married, one professor at Matreyi College at University of Dehli describing it as, "a constant shadow," and "intense pressure." Men, unsurprisingly, find new wives with ease.
Most shocking? How divorce can reflect negatively on children.
How different would my life be?
No comments:
Post a Comment