Fascinating day! We had a tour of all of Air India's engineering workshops: radar, electric, and instrumental. When we stepped into the latter, we all gathered into a tiny cubicle for an "air shower" to blow all of the dust off of us. I had no idea the instruments were so sensitive to even the tiniest particle of change.
Finally, we went to the engine room. Huge dismembered bits of machine were organized around the retired air plane hangar. As the daughter of an airplane enthusiast, it was hugely satisfying to be able to text my dad and tell him about the $40,000 air plane engine blade I held that day, and learn about the intricate honeycomb technology inside it to keep it light. It was equally as interesting seeing the black lights they use to identify even the smallest crack in the instruments.
Today opened my eyes to an entire field that I had never considered before. Millions of people travel via flight every day, my uncle works for Boeing and my father is obsessed. They're something that I'm so familiar with and yet have no idea about.
This program is allowing me to explore so many areas of life that I'd never considered before, and for that I am infinitely thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment